top of page


Senior Sewer Rebates

The City of Chicago provides a $50 annual refund to seniors on their sewer bills. To be eligible for a Senior Sewer Rebate, you must meet the following criteria:

  • You must be 65 years of age or older as of January 1 of the year you are applying.

  • You must be the sole owner, owner in joint tenancy, or tenancy in common of the property.

  • You must occupy the property as your principal place of residence.

  • You must own a townhouse, condominium unit, or cooperative apartment that shares a common water bill.


Follow these links for additional information and the online application.


Mail the application and supporting documentation to:


Alderman Brian Hopkins

ATTN: Lisa Ryan
1400 N. Ashland Ave.
Chicago, IL 60622


If you have any questions regarding Senior Sewer Rebates, contact my office at (312) 643-2299, or send an email to the office . Additional information can be found at the Committee on Finance website.


Construction Complaints

Per the Municipal Code, construction work is permitted during the hours of 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. (emergency maintenance & repairs or city infrastructure improvement projects are not subject to these restrictions). Should violations occur, please call 9-1-1 in real time to report them. Also please email us at to report any problems related to construction.


Garbage Collection

For information regarding residential garbage collection, visit the Department of Streets and Sanitation website.


Graffiti Removal

To report graffiti in the ward, please visit the Graffiti Blasters website.


Abandoned Vehicles

A vehicle can be classified as abandoned if it meets one or more of the following criteria:

  • Is located on a public way in a state of disrepair as to be incapable of being driven in its present condition.

  • Has not been moved or used for more than seven consecutive days and is apparently deserted.

  • Has been left on the public way without state registration or a temporary state registration placard for two or more days



To report an abandoned vehicle please contact our office. For information regarding Traffic Services and Towing, please visit the Department of Streets and Sanitation website.


Rodent Control (Rodent Baiting)

One of the City's most effective ways to combat rodents is containerization. Because the residents we service use heavy duty plastic carts with tight fitting lids to contain garbage, residents are able to cut off one of the main sources of food in an urban rat's diet.  These carts are free and are distributed by the department's Bureau of Sanitation. Use of these free carts, combined with the rodenticide we strategically place deep inside a rat's burrow, are the key reasons for the decline of rats in our city.  If rats can't feed, rats can't breed. For more info, please call our office or visit the City's Rodent Control website.


To report your block or alley, please fill out an online report here.


Tree Trimming

Trees are one of Chicago's most important natural resources.  They provide beauty, shade and help to clean the air.  But like any natural resource in an urban setting, they need care.  Chicago has more than 500,000 parkway trees and each is maintained by the Chicago Department of Streets and Sanitation Bureau of Forestry.



The Bureau of Forestry trims thousands of trees a year, plants new trees along the public right-of-way, addresses insect and disease problems, and otherwise promotes tree health throughout the City of Chicago.  For more information, please visit the Forestry website.


Snow Removal

One of the most recognizable images of the Chicago Department of Streets and Sanitation is that of our Snow Fighting Trucks plowing and salting city roadways during a Chicago snow storm.  Follow the snow plows live during any snow event at this website.


Block Party Permit Information

Permits to close a street for the purpose of holding a block party is requested by a resident of the block through their Aldermanic Offices.  These permits are issued free of charge.  Please visit the Neighborhood Permits & Events page for more information.

Moving Day No Parking Signs

No Parking signs for residential moves are available to 2nd Ward residents. To obtain these signs, please come into the 2nd Ward Service Office with proof of residency and an ID. No Parking signs are available for a four hour window, between the hours of 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM. Residents may not reserve space for more than one day at a time. Signs must be picked up and posted AT LEAST 48 HOURS IN ADVANCE OF THE MOVE.


PLEASE NOTE: As of August 2008, vehicles parked in violation of No Parking/Residential Move Signs WILL NOT be ticketed or towed, per the Police Department.


The Chicago Department of Transportation also provides No Parking signs for residential moves. For a fee of $25, CDOT will provide enforceable signs to eligible moving companies (via ticketing or towing) for the day of the move. For more information on this program, please contact the Department of Transportation at 312-744-4652. 


bottom of page